ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- M.B.A. in General Management, Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech (2010)
- M.Ed. in Administration and Supervision, Curry School of Education, University of Virginia (2006)
- B.S. in Human Services Counseling, Old Dominion University (2003)
OTHER FORMAL COURSEWORK
- Design Thinking for Innovative Problem Solving, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia (2013)
- Executive Educators Leadership Institute, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia (2009-2010)
- Alternative Licensure Coursework, Curry School of Education, University of Virginia (2004-2005)
- Division Superintendent License
- Postgraduate Professional License
- Administration and Supervision PK-12
- Business and Information Technology
PUBLIC EDUCATION WORK EXPERIENCE
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, Virginia (2009-Present)
- Principal, Murray High and Community Public Middle (District-Backed Charters)
- Director of Innovation and Instructional Programs
- Assistant Director of Instruction and Innovation Projects
- Piedmont Virginia Community College, Charlottesville, Virginia (2011-Present)
- Assistant Professor of Business Administration (Adjunct). Courses Taught:
- Topics in Social Entrepreneurship
- Principles of Business
- Assistant Professor of Business Administration (Adjunct). Courses Taught:
- Martinsville City Public Schools, Martinsville, Virginia (1998-2007)
- Coordinator, Virtual Learning and WIA (Grant for At-Risk Youth)
- Principal, Summer School
- Teacher, Business and Information Technology
- Teacher’s Aide, Alternative Education
- Head Coach, Wrestling
- Internships: School Administration, School Counseling
GRANTS AND RESEARCH-RELATED PROJECTS
- District Lead, Beyond Rubrics: Moving Toward Embedded Assessment in Maker Education. National Science Foundation. (2018-2019) Partners: MIT, Sonoma County Office of Education, Maker Education Initiative.
- District Lead, Maker: Studying the Role of Failure in Design and Making. National Science Foundation. (2016-2017) Partners: Indiana University, Science Museum of Minnesota.
- Project Director and Co-P.I., Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Design as Drivers of Cross-Curricular Change. U.S. Department of Education Investing in Innovation (i3) Initiative. (2015-2018). ~$3,000,000. Partners: University of Virginia, Princeton, Smithsonian, Charlottesville City Schools, et al.
- District Lead, Open Portfolio Project. Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation. (2013-2018) Partners: Indiana University, Maker Education Initiative.
- Administrator, Career and Technical Education Program, Albemarle County Public Schools. Carl D. Perkins Act. (2009-2017). ~$1,100,000
- District Lead, Lab School for Advanced Manufacturing Technologies. Virginia College/University Partnership Laboratory School Application Planning Grant. (2011-2012). ~$300,000. Partners: University of Virginia, Charlottesville City Schools.
- Administrator, Youth Career Development Program, Martinsville City Public Schools. Workforce Investment Act (2006-2009) ~$120,000
HONORS AND AWARDS
- “20 to Watch” Educational Leaders, National School Boards Association
- Top Leaders Under 40, C-Ville Weekly
- Top 2o Emerging Leaders Under 40, Roanoke Times Blue Ridge Business Journal
- Three-time Most Influential Educator, Martinsville City Public Schools
- Seven-time Wrestling Coach of the Year, VHSL Region/District
IMPACT AND INFLUENCE
I’ve been honored to speak or write in the areas of experiential education, Maker culture, K12 entrepreneurship, educational leadership, or STEM education. I’ve also been privileged to work for excellent educational organizations, to serve the Commonwealth of Virginia and to provide Board leadership to change-making efforts. Some highlights of that work are included below:
- Governor’s Council on Youth Entrepreneurship (2015-Present)
- Virginia Board of Education Advisory Committee for Career and Technical Education (2009-2015)
NONPROFIT BOARD LEADERSHIP
- Founding Board Chair, Board of Directors, ReinventED Labs (2015-Present)
- Founder and President, Board of Directors, Spencer L. Chang Scholarship Fund (2003-Present)
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, Virginia Career Education Foundation (2010-2015)
- Past Vice President, Board of Directors, Virginia Technology and Engineering Education Association (2013-2015)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Charlottesville Business Innovation Council (2009-2012)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Edgar and Eleanor Shannon Foundation (2010-2013)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Patrick Henry Community College Foundation (2007-2010)
VOLUNTEERISM AND COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP
- Member, Advisory Board, College4Kids (2009-Present)
- Organizer and Mentor, StartupWeekend EDU (2013, 2015)
- Volunteer, Education Innovation Planning, Tom Tom Founders Festival (2011-Present)
- Volunteer, Education Program Planning, Charlottesville Mini-Maker Faire (2012-Present)
- Board Development Academy, Charlottesville Center for Nonprofit Excellence (Class of 2012)
- Leadership Charlottesville, Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce (Class of 2011)
- “Timeless Learning” Josey-Bass (Under contract). Co-author with Pam Moran, Ira Socol.
- Assessment in Making Edutopia. (2016, July). Co-author with Stephanie Chang.
- How Might We Provide Children the Agency to Practice Empathy. Ashoka Changemaker Blog. (2015, August).
- Building a Startup Culture in Schools. edSurge. (2013, October).
- The Maker Mindset. MakerEd Blog. (2013, February). Co-author with Pam Moran.
- Boss, S. Bringing Innovation to School: Empowering Students to Thrive in a Changing World. 2012. (quotes)
PROFILES AND INTERVIEWS
- Chad Ratliff: Educator and Innovator of Albemarle County Schools, Conversion Factor. (2015, June).
- Making an Impact: One District’s Approach to Deeper Learning, Alliance for Excellent Education (2016, June).
- Startup Weekend Offers Real-World PD for Teachers, Scholastic Administrator (2015, September).
- Interview: Chad Ratliff, GettingSmart. (2010, April).
Media Interviews and Coverage of Select Projects
- Pushing Maker Learning Further: Murray one of 20 Schools in U.S. chosen for MIT program, Daily Progress, 12/18/17
- Is Ed Tech Really Working? 5 Core Tenets to Rethink How We Buy, Use, and Measure New Tools, The74, 9/11/17
- National Pilot Program for Maker Learning Finds Inspiration in Albemarle County, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 7/23/17
- Tiny House a Huge Learning Experience for WAHS Students, Daily Progress, 5/21/17
- Making School Better by Making Music, Daily Progress, 4/30/17
- National School Boards Association Names “20 to Watch” Education Technology Leader, NSBA Website, 4/3/2017
- ACPS Names Finalist for Grant to Redesign Education, Daily Progress, 7/27/16
- Making an Impact: One District’s Approach to Deeper Learning, Alliance for Excellent Education Profile and Interview, 6/22/16
- $30K Grant Helps Students with Hands-on STEM, Daily Progress, 4/1/16
- Albemarle County’s Maker Curriculum Studied for Use in Hungary, Daily Progress, 11/15/15
- The Department of Education’s Plan to Go Open–Open Educational Resources, That Is, Slate, 11/12/15
- From Class Clown to CEO: How Entrepreneurship Education Benefits K12 Students, Forbes, 11/9/15
- Entrepreneurship Classes and Skills Invade Classrooms, CBS19, 10/30/15
- Albemarle County Public Schools Director Appointed to Governor’s Council on Youth Entrepreneurship, ACPS Blog, 10/28/15
- Making Highlighted in Albemarle County, NPR WMRA, 9/17/15
- UVA Student Launches Education Nonprofit, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 9/5/15
- Albemarle Co. Schools Host Conference on Project-Based Learning, NBC29, 7/31/15
- Local Alumni Getting in on the Maker Movement, UVA Today, 7/1/15
- How Middle School Students Reinvented the First Text Message System, MAKE, 6/29/15
- Albemarle Students Present Entrepreneurial Ideas, NBC29, 6/15/2015
- Makers Take Capitol Hill, MAKE, 6/12/15
- Albemarle County Administrators Invited to Present Maker Curriculum, CBS19, 6/9/2015
- Making it Real, American School Board Journal, June 2015
- Eighth Graders Present Fruits of Entrepreneurial Class, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 6/1/2015
- Charlottesville, Albemarle School Stress Innovation in Teaching, Learning, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 12/8/14
- Students Show Inventions at Innovation Expo, NBC29, 12/7/14
- Education Innovation Expo, CBS19, 12/7/14
- Startup Weekend EDU and Hackathon Innovates Educational Ideas, Newsplex, 11/16/14
- Community Members Brainstorm and Startup Weekend EDU, NBC29, 11/16/14
- Monticello High School Hosting Startup Weekend, NBC29, 11/13/15
- The Lab in the Classroom, MAKE, 9/19/14
- Maker Movement Reinvents Education, Newsweek, 9/8/14
- Why Educators Love Maker Faire 2014 (+ their tips!), MAKE, 9/8/14
- One Year In, STEM Lab School Sees Growth, Recognizes Challenges, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 7/3/14
- MIT Professor Leads Unique Summer Program in Albemarle County, NBC29, 6/29/14
- Program Exposes Students to Entrepreneurship, Daily Progress, 6/9/14
- Entrepreneurial Students Present Their Business Ideas, Charlottesville Newsplex, 6/9/14
- How to Subvert the K12 Classroom, EdSurge, 5/19/2014
- Local Schools Turn to ‘Making’ in the Classroom, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4/13/14
- High School Students Can Earn Earn Associate Degrees With PVCC Partnership, NBC29, 5/2/13
- Students Show 3D Scanner at Tom Tom Fest, NBC29, 4/25/14
- Make Your Space: The Maker Movement in Education, NJEA Review, March ’14
- Meet the Makers, Scholastic Administrator, Winter ’14
- Educators Stress Entrepreneurial Thinking During Tom Tom, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 4/12/14
- Genius Hour Expo to Showcase Student Work at Tom Tom Fest, NBC29, 4/7/14
- Grant to Help Albemarle Teachers Implement STEM Learning, NBC29, 3/6/14
- Fabricating the Future: 3D Printing Molds New K12 STEM Model, ‘Discoveries’, National Science Foundation, 4/26/13
- Albemarle Schools’ Maker Spaces Program Gets National Attention, NBC29, 12/12.13
- Albemarle Middle School Offers Mechatronics Class, NBC29, 10/4/13
- Why the ‘Maker Movement’ is Popular in Schools Center for Digital Education, 8/14/13
- Albemarle Maker Academies Kick Off, Charlottesville Tomorrow, 7/9/13
- Albemarle Program Preps Elementary Students for Engineering & Design, NBC29, 7/16/13
- Albemarle Schools Among 20 in Country in Maker Movement Project, Daily Progress, 7/8/13
- Albemarle County Students Get Hands-On Tech Experience, CBS19, 8/25/13
- Albemarle County Schools Maker Faire, Daily Progress, 8/24/13
- New Online Publication Covers Virginia Education, The Washington Post, 1/3/12
- What the Experts Say On Checking Out Your Child’s School, TIME, 3/10/11
- Return to Sender, T.H.E. Journal, 3/7/11 (full)
- PVCC Swells With Increasing Dual Enrollment, The Daily Progress, 2/19/11
- PVCC to Help “At Risk” Local Students Prepare for College, CBS19, 1/27/11
- Educators Click With Social Networking, Converge Magazine, 7/2/09
- Where Will CTE be in 50 Years?, Techniques Journal, 5/09
INVITED TALKS AND PRESENTATIONS
- When the Classroom Walls Come Down: A Systems-Wide Strategy for Contemporary Learning (2017, November). Presenter. Virginia Schools Boards Association (VSBA) Annual Convention. Williamsburg, VA.
- View From the Field: Emerging Leaders (2017, October). Panelist. Leading Ed Forum, Virginia Society for Technology in Education. Culpepper, VA.
- Re-thinking Professional Development (2017, September). Panelist. Maker Education Forum, World Maker Faire. New York, NY.
- Solving K12’s Most Complex Problems Across EdTech Development, Funding, Procurement (2017, May). Panelist, ASU-GSV Education Technology Summit. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Crowdsourcing Efficacy Research and Product Reviews (2017, May). Panelist. EdTech Efficacy Research Academic Symposium, U.Va. Curry School of Education. Washington D.C.
- Radical Transformation: Unmaking School by Design (2016, October). Keynote Speaker, James Madison University Teaching and Learning with Technology (JMUTLT) Conference. Harrisonburg, VA. (slides)
- Unleashing the Future: How Entrepreneurial Thinking and the Maker Movement Can Transform Classrooms for Teachers and Students. (2016, October). Keynote Speaker, National Consortium for Entrepreneurship Education Annual Conference. Mobile, AL. (slides)
- Innovation, Invention and Intellectual Property: Who owns? (2016, February). Panelist, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. American Association of School Superintendents Conference. Phoenix, AZ.
- White House Event: Champions of Change (2016, January). Participant. Washington, D.C.
- National Science Foundation Maker Summit. (2015, November). Participant. Washington, D.C.
- White House Event: Next Gen High School Summit. (2015, November). Participant. Washington, D.C.
- Supporting Emerging Makerspaces. (2015, October). Panelist. Remake Learning Network’s Maker Education Institute. Pittsburgh, PA.
- White House Event: Education and Making. (2015, June). Roundtable Facilitator. Washington D.C.
- Advanced Manufacturing as a Driver of Cross-Curricular Change. (2015, June). Presenter. National Maker Faire. Washington, D.C.
- The Maker Approach to Learning: A Public School District Experience. (2015, June). Presenter. National Maker Faire. Washington D.C.
- Building Public Servants: Education Policy. (2015, March). Panelist. University of Virginia Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy Annual Conference. Charlottesville, VA.
- Make to Learn, Learn to Make: Getting Back to the Basics of Kids as Designers, Builders, Engineers, Creators. (2015, March). Presenter. National School Boards Association Conference. Nashville, TN.
- Changing Education through the Maker Mindset: A Public School System Experience. (2015, February). Presenter. AcadeMAKE Conference, University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Greensboro, NC. (slides)
- Leveraging CTE to Drive Change in Public Education. (2014, November). Presenter. National Association for Career and Technical Education Conference. Nashville, TN (slides)
- The Maker Movement: Milestones and Momentum. (2014, November). Panelist. STEMconnector Virtual Town Hall.
- Maker Portfolios in the Admissions Process: Value and Implementation. (2014, October). Panelist. Higher Education Maker Summit at Arizona State University. Tempe, AZ.
- Meet Maker Educators: Inspirational Stories From the Cutting Edge. (2014, September). Presenter. World Maker Faire. New York, NY.
- The Maker Movement: Expanding Access to STEM Through Making. (2014, October). Presenter. Virginia STEM Conference: Engineering Ingenuity. Lexington, VA.
- K12 Representative, National Technology Leadership Summit, September 26, 2014, Washington, D.C.
- Making the Case for Innovation in K12 Education. (2014, August). Panelist. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office STEM Innovation Institute. Santa Clara, CA.
- Making as a Pathway to Engineering: Intersections and Opportunities. (2014, July). Presenter. National Science Foundation Internal Workshop. Washington, D.C. (slides)
- Broadening Community Support for Making. (2014, June). Panelist. American Association for the Advancement of Science Maker Education Forum. Washington D.C.
- Making STEM Leaders: Getting School Administrators on Board. (2014, May). Panelist. Making Possibilities Workshop at Intel. Santa Clara, CA.
- Cultivating Makers and Creativity. (2014, April). Presenter. National Science Teachers Association Conference. Boston, MA.
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset in Schools. (2014, April). Panel Moderator. Tom Tom Founders Festival. Charlottesville, VA.
- High School of the Future Startup Event. (2013, September). Facilitator. Governor’s STEM Summit. Richmond, VA.
- Maker Corps: Cultivating Creativity. (2013, September). Presenter. World Maker Faire. New York, NY.